Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Haiti: Day 1


Hi. I just got to Haiti a few hours ago.

What am I doing here? There are many answers to that question, but here's my best try.

Last fall as four hurricanes added greatly to Haiti's already-difficult situation, the separation created by my privilege as a U.S.er became unbearable. It wasn't just that I didn't feel I was doing enough to help people here (though that was true, too). I reached a point where I could not tolerate the acceptance of my privileged distance from the suffering of people here. The cost of my own physical comfort and security as a U.S.er seemed to be ignorance of and distance from the suffering of other people. In the end, this distance seemed like too high a price to pay.

So my journey is, in one part, about wanting to help heal this country. But it's also about wanting to do away with the painful distance that I feel from people who live extremely hard lives due to the forces of racism, nationalism, imperialism, capitalism, etc.


This is the view from where I wrote this.

One more thing: big thanks to all of you who have been supporting and encouraging me to do this for the last several months. You know who you are. Special thanks to Mom, Thomas, Henry and Scott. I couldn't have gotten this far with you, and am very glad I didn't have to try.

This videos aren't terribly interesting. More just a chance for me to figure out how to put video in my blog--this is new to me. Hopefully better videos will follow.


Bye for now to the Florida coast (that's Ft. Lauderdale below)


Landing at Port au Prince airport

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is great to hear that you have arrived. I know that you will do great works!Moore

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best wishes on your Journey! I'll be looking forward to reading about your adventures and realizations.

    Stay safe and well... prayers are with you.
    Margie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing, Paul. I will be reading from time to time about your experiences and keeping up to date with all the wonderful things you are doing in Haiti. Keep sharing your joy, your light, and your passion for a better world!
    You're in my thoughts and prayers.

    :)Gabriella

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the update. Glad you arrived safe. Your heart is in a good place. My thoughts and prayers are always with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whatever positive impacts I've had on you, my friend, are felt reciprocally and then some. Can't wait to piggy back off your experiences and savvy when I get down there in a few months. To paraphrase Isaac Newton,I will see further only because I am standing on the shoulders of giants. Bon travay, mwen zanmi.

    ReplyDelete